Historical Accountability Student Research Internship
This part-time research position is an excellent opportunity for underclassmen, although students of all class affiliations are eligible.
The internship program offers part-time research assistant positions at a pay rate of $10.00/hour. Interns work directly with the Institutional History Research Specialist and an assigned faculty advisor to research, document, and disseminate major portions of college history related to issues of diversity and inclusion.
These student assistants work with Dartmouth faculty advisors on special research projects that have been identified by the Institutional History Research Specialist as being of highest priority to the Historical Accountability Student Research Program.
The internship is not currently available as a remote opportunity due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Institutional History Research Specialist to identify useful archival collections and research topics
- Conduct in-depth historical research in the college archives concerning significant college history, with specific focus on history related to issues of diversity and inclusion
- Compile detailed lists of primary source documents for future instructional or scholarly use in the library
- Meet with the Institutional History Research Specialist once a week, or as needed, for progress reports
- The candidate must have an ability to work well with minimal supervision on a day-to-day basis
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- Required interest in history and/or archives and issues of diversity and inclusion
- Desirable qualities include intellectual curiosity, strong work ethic, and attention to detail
When the program is recruiting for interns, the position is listed on Jobnet under "Libraries" as Job C15386. Email Myranda Fuentes expressing your interest in the position with the following application materials:
resume or CV
two character references (incoming freshmen may use high school teachers)
- writing sample (up to 20 pages in length)
Students offered internship positions are initially hired to work for a two-term period, after which their performance is reviewed to determine eligibility for renewal.